In order to be considered for employment as a Firefighter with the Panama City Fire Department,
all applicants must:
- Possess a valid Florida Driver’s License or be able to obtain a valid Florida Driver’s License
- Applicants must also be insurable by the City’s insurance carrier
- Be at least 18 years of age and have a minimum of a High School Diploma or a valid G.E.D. (Graduation Equivalency Diploma)
- Possess a valid State of Florida Firefighter Certificate of Compliance as outlined in Florida Statutes Chapter 633.35
- Neither have been convicted of a felony or of a misdemeanor directly related to the position of employment sought, nor have pled nolo contendere to any charge of a felony (See Florida Statutes Chapter 633.34 for details).
- Submit to and successfully complete a Physical Agility Test which includes several Firefighter Job Related Activities
- Participate in a Preliminary Interview process conducted by an Interview Board composed of various ranks from the Panama City Fire Department
Subsequent to successful completion of the Agility Test and Preliminary Committee Interview, prospective employees will be interview, by members of the Command Staff. They will making hiring recommendations to the Fire Chief following this final interview.
Subsequent to the interview process and prior to confirmation of employment, the prospective employee must submit to a Pre-Employment Medical Evaluation which includes a Drug / Alcohol Screening process.
NoticeThe City of Panama City is a Drug Free Workplace. Applicants receiving an offer for employment must submit to a Post Offer / Pre-Employment Drug and Alcohol Screening Process. Failure to submit to or having a “Positive and Confirmed” result on a Pre-Employment Screening Process will result in the applicant being ineligible for employment with the City of Panama City. Additionally, All Certified Firefighters employed by the Panama City Fire Department are subject to subsequent Drug and Alcohol Screening in accordance with City and Fire Department Policies. This includes Pre-Employment, Post Accident / Injury, Random and Reasonable Suspicion Drug and Alcohol Screening.
If you are interested in a rewarding career with the Panama City Fire Department, call 850-872-3059 for information on position availability and how to apply. Also, we provide a “Ride-Along” program so prospective employees can spend time with crews and observe the daily routine firsthand. Call and ask how you can participate!