Operation Clean Sweep is a concentrated effort to help address and ensure the health and welfare of the citizens of Panama City as well as the aesthetic and environmental value of our community. The initiative is modeled after “Adopt-a-Highway” in which we are partnering with churches, youth groups, civic organizations, schools, businesses and individuals to beautify the City of Panama City. You can help by picking a zone or a few streets within a zone and removing litter and storm blown debris left from Hurricane Michael. We can provide the supplies you may need for cleanup, and we'll pick up the garbage bags following cleanup.
Please don’t forget to record and document your volunteer hours. Volunteer work in the City of Panama City benefits citizens in two ways. The value of your volunteer hours will be used to offset the City’s cost share of the federal assistance. (You may fill out this online form, print your own form by clicking here or pick-up a form with your supplies.)
Follow these steps:
Step 1: Talk with your friends and neighbors about your interest in joining Operation Clean Sweep.
Step 2: Pick a zone (or a street within a zone), clean-up date and fill out our sign-up sheet. You may also call our Solid Waste Office at (850) 872-3172. We’re happy to help you plan.
Step 3: We will provide the safety vests, gloves, first-aid kits, garbage bags and litter grabbers. To check out these items, please visit our offices at 731 Massalina Drive, (Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.)
Step 4: Clean-up Day! Have fun and enjoy the satisfaction of improving your community.
*Please place all litter collected in plastic bags and separate from all other debris.
*Don’t forget to record and document your volunteer hours and turn them in.
We also ask that you consider taking before and after photos. We would love to share your photos on our City’s website and Facebook page and thank you for helping us beautify Panama City.
Step 5: Once you have finished your clean-up, please call the Solid Waste Office at (850) 872-3172 and let us know where we can collect your debris and litter. Please don't forget to turn in any borrowed supplies.
Together as a community, we can make Panama City “bigger, better and stronger.”
To make sure your cleanup experience is productive and safe for everyone, please observe the following guidelines:
- Have adults accompany youth under the age of 18.
- Park vehicles off roadway and not blowing driveways.
- Work on one side of the roadway at a time.
- Wear bright colored clothing, gloves and safety vests while working along the roadside.
- Wear gloves, protective footwear and sun protection.
- Use the trash grabbers provided by the Solid Waste Division.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid overexertion.
- Do not remove hazardous or poisonous substances. Please note where these substances are located so we may address the concerns.
- Be alert for wildlife and slippery or uneven surfaces.
- Do not pick up items on bridges or overpasses.
- Do not enter the roadway or shoulder.
- Stay clear of any construction.
- Have a first aid kit with you.